The Other Half is an alliance of men’s and women’s organisations working together to end men’s violence against women. We are SAFE Ireland, Rape Crisis Network Ireland, and the Men’s Development Network.
Why work with Men
For a variety of reasons violence against women (VAW) has been largely tackled by women and has, by default, been seen as a women’s issue.
We feel that it is time to move on from this and to recognise men – or The Other Half – as potentially powerful allies against violence.
Why we want to work together
- Men are one half of the population.
- Men can exert influence over their peers and colleagues.
- The vast majority of men are not perpetrators of violence against women.
- When women experience violence, the perpetrators are commonly men.
- Men are concerned for the safety of the women they care about.
- Men are potentially powerful allies.
- Men are potentially powerful activists in an alliance against violence against women.
Calling All Men!
New Campaign calls on Men to Help End Violence Against Women (see Photos and Videos from the launch) Read More >>
SAFE Ireland members actively engage with men to organise white ribbon events throughout Ireland in November 2010. http://www.theotherhalf.ie/news.aspx#77
See www.theotherhalf.ie for further information