Based on practice issues and women’s needs which were identified by our member organisations, SAFE Ireland, in conjunction with the Stella Project, London has taken a lead role in supporting the development of effective policy and practice for supporting women who are experiencing domestic violence and have substance use issues.
The Stella Project is a partnership between the Greater London Domestic Violence Project (GLDVP) and the Greater London Alcohol and Drug Alliance (GLADA). The Stella Project works to find positive and creative ways to develop a more inclusive service provision, including policy development, partnership working and training.
In 2010 SAFE Ireland developed a substance use policy templates to assist domestic violence projects to work with substance using women.
Also in 2009/2010 in partnership with The Stella Project SAFE Ireland delivered a 3 phase training and professional development programme with the majority of domestic violence services in Ireland.
This programme included the following stages:
- Awareness raising training
- Development of Policy Template with Service Managers
- Internal Sign-off of policies by boards of Domestic Violence Services
- Training of frontline staff in the implementation of the policies and practice related issues
- Post Implementation – Follow on troubleshooting workshops with frontline staff and service managers